Stem Cell Network and Mitacs
Industry-Based Internship Partnership
2022-2023 Internship Application Guide
The application process is closed.
The SCN-Mitacs industry-based internship partnership aims to pair the brightest graduate students and postdoctoral fellows with RM-focused biotech companies that are moving innovative therapies and technologies into the marketplace.
Research Internships in Regenerative Medicine:
Stem Cell Network and Mitacs developed a partnership through the Mitacs Accelerate program, which will support the brightest graduate students and postdoctoral fellows conducting research in regenerative medicine. These interns will share their time (eight months) between academic institutions and companies, to power life-saving therapies and technologies through regenerative medicine research for the benefit of all. This application cycle is for the Summer 2022 term (for projects beginning no earlier than July 2022) and will fund up to five intern positions.
- Train highly qualified personnel to be scientific and industry leaders able to position Canada at the forefront of regenerative medicine
- De-risk innovations and fertilize the field for subsequent commercial activity
- Allarta Life Science
- Aspect Biosystems
- Axolotl Biosciences
- BlueRock Therapeutics
- Mediphage Bioceuticals
- Mesintel Therapeutics
- Morphocell Technologies
- Octane Orthobiologics
- PanTHERA Cryosolutions
- RepliCel Life Sciences
- Virica Biotech
This internship is intended for students in Masters/PhD programs or for Postdoctoral fellows. In the first call (Summer 2022) recent graduates within two years of their degree and affiliated with an eligible academic institution will also be eligible.
Applicants must be legally permitted to reside and work in Canada by the award start date. There are no citizenship requirements for this program. SCN and Mitacs welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourages applications from persons with disabilities or members of minority groups underrepresented in the sciences.
Interns may be required to travel to participate in this opportunity (see below for financial details). At least two months of the eight-month internship must be hosted by the academic institution.
Eligible candidates are eligible for funding of $30,000 CAD, for two four-month terms, fully funded by both Mitacs and Stem Cell Network.
The $30,000 award breaks down as follows:
- $20,000 ($10,000 per term) as a mandatory minimum stipend
- $10,000 for flexible research expenses which could be allocated towards consumables for the project, eligible travel and relocation expenses, or additional stipend
- January 2022: Stem Cell Network will promote the Internship program to its research/trainee community and request expression of interest (EOI) package submission for March 10 deadline
- Mid-March 2022: SCN Matchmaking process: EOI packages circulated to companies; interviews arranged. Companies rank candidates.
- April 1, 2022: Top ranked candidates instructed to submit full application package to Mitacs.
Applications to the Mitacs-Stem Cell Network partnership is a two-stage process: Expression of interest, and then a full Mitacs Accelerate application package. Applicants may apply in English or in French.
Expression of interest (EOI) application packages will be evaluated for eligibility by SCN management, and eligible application packages provided to the companies selected by the candidate in their EOI application form. Companies will review application packages and select candidates for a follow-up Zoom interview. All candidates will be notified of outcomes. Please send an expression of interest package and CV to Ellie Arnold firstname.lastname@example.org and Jillian Murray email@example.com. Due Date: March 10, 2022
- The expression of interest package must include the following:
- Candidate CV
- A biosketch, outlining candidate expertise and notable career contributions and achievements
- A description of candidate career aspirations.
- A short 3-minute “selfie” video in which the candidate introduces themselves, including their expertise, contributions and career aspirations, and any other attributes that make them a good candidate for an internship.
- Candidate list of preferences for available roles at participating companies
- Letter of support from the trainee’s supervisor.
Successful eligible applicants from Stage 1 will be invited to submit a Mitacs Accelerate application (https://www.mitacs.ca/en/programs/accelerate/proposal).
- May 2, 2022: Deadline for submission of full application package to Mitacs
- May-June 2022: Mitacs review process
- Successful candidates notified once peer review complete
Projects are expected to start no earlier than July 2022.
For questions pertaining to this initiative or application process, please contact:
Jonathan Draper, Ph.D., Program Director, Research Partnerships, Stem Cell Network
Jillian Murray, PhD., Account Manager, Mitacs