Comprehensive Course on Fluorescence Microscopy
The Stem Cell Network is pleased to provide eligible trainees with financial support to attend the Comprehensive Course on Fluorescence Microscopy, presented by James Jonkman and the team at the Advanced Optical Microscopy Facility at the MaRS Centre in Toronto. This unique training opportunity is suitable for graduate students, post-doctoral fellows and other highly qualified personnel.
This comprehensive five-day course takes the student through all aspects of fluorescence microscopy using dynamic presentations, hands-on training and experience on a variety of microscopes, and independent practice sessions. While there are no formal prerequisites, it is expected that users have some basic biology/biomedical training
The course includes 30hrs of microscope instruction, a course notebook with presentation slides and lab exercises, and a USB key. Refreshments and lunch are provided each day.
Day 1 – Fundamentals of Microscopy: how microscopes work, properties of light, contrast and resolution.
Day 2 – Confocal I : basic confocal imaging, optimizing channels, 3D Z-stacks, projections, spinning disk microscopy, two-photon microscopy.
Day 3 – Multidimensional Fluorescence Microscopy: multi-channel, multi-location, 3D, timelapse and live-cell imaging
Day 4 – Advanced Optical Microscopy: optimizing for live-cell imaging, FRAP, FRET, TIRF, Super-Resolution, spectral imaging, other advanced techniques and considerations in live cell imaging.
Day 5 – Image Processing and Analysis: calibrations, filters, contrast enhancement, colocalization, deconvolution and digital pattern recognition. Note: On this day, there will be no afternoon practice sessions.
The morning sessions consist of presentations and instructor guided, hands on exercises on various instruments. The afternoon sessions consist of challenging, independent exercises intended to enhance participants understanding and experience on our various microscopes.
Upon completion, graduates of the course will receive a non-accredited certificate.
Course Dates: June 11-15, 2018
Course Location: MaRS Centre, Toronto Medical Discovery Tower
View the course agenda – (coming soon!)
Bursary Application Deadline: Wednesday, April 18, 2018
The Stem Cell Network is offering a limited number of bursaries to enable eligible trainees to attend this course.
Download the Bursary Application Form here:
Details of the SCN Bursary Award and Application Procedure:
This SCN bursary award provides financial assistance for eligible trainees to attend the Comprehensive Course on Fluorescence Microscopy, presented by James Jonkman and the team at the Advanced Optical Microscopy Facility at the MaRS Centre in Toronto.
- Application deadline is 11:59pm (sender’s time) Wednesday, April 18, 2018.
- The SCN bursary will cover travel expenses associated with attending the workshop, for trainees not based in Toronto:
- Travel to/from the course location
- Up to five nights accommodation at our designated hotel (the night before the workshop, days 1, 2, 3 and 4 with departure on day 5)
- Meals not provided during the course
- The award will also cover the course registration fee of $950 (paid directly to the organizers).
- Successful applicants will be automatically registered for the course by the Stem Cell Network upon confirmation of the acceptance of the award.
- Reimbursement will be processed following the course and in accordance with the SCN Travel Booking & Reimbursement Policy (policy will be provided to the selected applicants).
- Accommodation during the course will be provided for trainees not based in Toronto. Two trainees of the same gender may be required to share a room.
Eligibility for the SCN Bursary:
- Applicants must be a highly qualified personnel (i.e. a graduate student, post-doc, research associate and/or technician) currently working in the field of stem cells and regenerative medicine in a Canadian lab.
- Applicants must be working on a research project in the field of stem cells or regenerative medicine.
- Applicants must clearly demonstrate that they will apply the techniques learned at the course to their own research project within one year.
- If you’re unsure whether you are eligible, please email Rebecca Cadwalader at firstname.lastname@example.org for confirmation.
- Complete the application form and return it, along with any additional documents required, by email to email@example.com by 11:59pm (sender’s time) Wednesday, April 18, 2018.
- SCN management or the SCN Training & Education Committee will review all complete applications, and applicants will be informed of the competition outcome by Wednesday May 9, 2018.
Reporting and Communication Requirements:
By accepting a SCN bursary, the recipient agrees to provide a report describing the value of the training and networking opportunities made available through the award. This information will be used at SCN’s discretion on its website, newsletters and for the purpose of reporting to its funding agency. Please note that expense reimbursement will be processed only once the completed report is received.
For further information on course content, please contact James Jonkman at firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information on applying for a SCN bursary to attend this course, please contact Rebecca Cadwalader at email@example.com