Stem Cell Network launches a new multimillion-dollar national research competition
August 4, 2021 (Ottawa) The Stem Cell Network (SCN) is pleased to launch a new multimillion-dollar national research funding competition to support world-class, translational, regenerative medicine research, across the research continuum, to facilitate health, social and economic benefits for Canadians.
Seven regenerative medicine research programs will be available that focus on career development, innovation, clinical translation, policy and societal impact, commercialization and transformative technology development.
“As we celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Stem Cell Network it is an opportunity to showcase our legacy of supporting research, training the next generation and providing education and public outreach for Canadians over the past two decades,” said, SCN’s CEO & Scientific Director, Michael Rudnicki, O.C., FRSC, PhD, “With this new national competition we are poised to once again bring transformational change, driving innovation and research to develop the knowledge, therapies and technologies that will benefit those who are living with and fighting chronic disease and severe illnesses.”
The seven programs available in this funding competition are:
- Early Career Researcher Jump Start Awards: SCN will provide up to $300,000 for early career researchers (within the first five years of an initial academic appointment) to develop a research program with a regenerative medicine focus.
- Impact Awards: SCN will provide up to $250,000 to support proof-of-principle experiments, including novel therapeutic or technical approach development that will drive regenerative medicine therapies forward.
- Clinical Trial Awards: SCN will provide up to $1,000,000 to support early-stage clinical trial projects with high translational potential.
- Translation & Society Teams Award: SCN will provide up to $750,000 to support high-calibre ELSI research teams to undertake innovative, high-impact research that facilitates regenerative medicine for the benefit of society.
- Knowledge Translation Awards: SCN will provide up to $200,000 to support the knowledge translation of regenerative medicine research for targeted stakeholders and/or users.
- Fueling Biotechnology Partnerships Awards: SCN will provide up to $400,000 to support academic partnerships with emerging Canadian regenerative medicine biotechnology companies to bring innovative technologies or therapies to the clinic or market.
- Horizon Awards: SCN will provide up to $3,000,000 to fuel national multi-disciplinary teams focused on developing transformative technology solutions for tackling significant regenerative medicine challenges.
As the world begins to emerge from one of the most challenging times in our recent memory, it is truly an exciting time for SCN to be launching this opportunity for growth and advancement of stem cell research and regenerative medicine. Thanks to the Government of Canada’s investment of $45 million provided to the Stem Cell Network in the 2021 federal budget, this funding competition will fuel regenerative medicine innovation and power research for better health.
This competition will open Wednesday, September 1, 2021, and support research activities during the 2022 to 2025 time period.
For program information and details on how to apply, visit the Research Funding Opportunities section on the Stem Cell Network website.
About the Stem Cell Network:
Celebrating 20 years, the Stem Cell Network (SCN) is a national non-profit that supports stem cell and regenerative medicine research, training the next generation of highly qualified personnel, and delivering outreach activities across Canada. SCN’s goal is to advance science from the lab to the clinic for the benefit of Canadians. SCN has been supported by the Government of Canada since inception in 2001. This strategic funding, valued at $118M has benefitted approximately 196 world-class research groups and 4,100 trainees and has catalyzed 24 clinical trials. Powering research for better health. stemcellnetwork.ca